Re: Front Discs for 4x4 Pickups & Travelalls

Chris Procyk wrote:

> Actually, I'm curious as to the
> addition of disc brakes to the light line-- did the 4wd ever get
> them?

Dunno if the solid-axle 4x4 models of pickup & Travelall ever came with
discs, Chris.  All I've ever seen is drums.

Since many of us are using these bigger "light line" rigs as tow vehicles,
however, I'd often thought that disc brakes would be a nice modification.

We therefore included in the July Binder Bulletin (and in the "Special
Edition that appeared inside the '98 Nationals event program) an article on
converting the open-knuckle Dana 44 under 1/2-ton pickups and Travelalls to
discs -- using readily available Ford parts.

John Comer of Gryphin Automotive did the research and the test-fitting, as
well as the conversion that was photographed for the article.

Bill Thebert