Re: Alternators

When the truth serum kicked in, kenlipo@domain.elided (Ken J Hitchcox) blurted
out...

>I've got the same problem as Tom, but sometimes it takes a very high rpm
>(>2000) to get it going.  On some occassions, rate of change in rpm makes
>a difference. So, if I accelerate at a slow rate, it requires a higher
>rpm to make the alternator work then if I floor it. I found this out when
>I had carb problems and accelerating fast caused the engine to backfire
>excessively, when it finally got up to shifting speed into second gear,
>it still didn't cause it to charge .  Then when it warmed up, I could
>floor it and it would jump right up to charge.
>
>Someone posted that it may have to do with the bulkhead connector.

It could be that your resistance wire connected to the alternator is not
supplying a high enough voltage to properly pre-excite the windings in the
rotor.  A bad bulkhead connection or a problem with the resistance wire could
cause excessive resistance and lower the voltage.  Just a thought.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    | "A fear of weapons is a
Conservative Libertarian      |  sign of retarded sexual
Life Member of the NRA        |  and emotional maturity."
WA Arms Collectors            |                          - Sigmund Freud
Capital City Rifle & Pistol   |                    "General Introduction
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |                      to Psychoanalysis"