Identifying differentials/axles/etc.

Well, I have listened to the talk about Dana 30s and 44s and 27s and 300s
and all for long enough, without having any idea how you know what axle and/
or differential your vehicle came with.  So, how do I find this out?  I have
a 1965 C1100 4 x 4 travelall.  The linesetting ticket tells me that it has
4.09 gears, but it doesn't tell me who made them.  (It also tells me that
it has a T-16 transmission, and I know that it is a 4-speed, with a very
low (about 6.8:1) first gear, but I have no idea who made that, either.)

So, how do you guys know who made your "stuff," and what models they are?
Do you just get down under the vehicle and *look*?  Is there a "magic list"
somewhere, that tells us novices how to cross reference what IH called a
part and what the manufacturer of that part called it?

Thanks in advance.

PB Schechter
pb@domain.elided