Electrical Gizmos

A few tidbits.

When lugging the motor, my alternator will show a slight discharge.. as
Landry said, it's just not turning fast enough.

I have my KCs, my stereo, my stereo amps, CB, etc. all wired directly to the
battery.  With the stereo cranked, the ALT gauge shows a charge
continously... it moves farther with the KCs on, and when there's some hard
hitting tunes on the 'changer, I can watch the needle twitch with the bass
notes.

Interesting Alternator phenomena.  When changing motors, I took the nearly
new 90amp alternator (w/ small pulley) from the '72 w/ the 304.

When I start, the alt gauge doesn't move... I have to punch the throttle
once, then the alt gauge swings to charge until it makes up for the starter
effort.  I'm curious why it takes this throttle spike to "wake up" the
alternator.. it'll then charge at idle *after* I hit the gas once.

 -Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout