Re: Rob's Comments

In a brilliant stroke of genius, cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees) blurted
out:

>   I have the AFB on my Scout 345. The only problem I've had off-road
>has been when I have hit thinks very hard. Like that river bank (OK
>stream bank) in Ohio. When I have done that is has stalled, but; will
>start right up without cranking.

Dan,

How do you know this is the fault of the carburetor?  Could it be an
ignition related short?  If your sure it's the carb, have you checked the
float level?

By chance did you install the dampened style float valves?  Edelbrock calls
them "off-road" float valves.  They're supposed to prevent excessive
bouncing of the floats, which can lead to flooding.

I guess I can't picture what would cause that style carb to have any
particular problem when hitting something hard, other than the well known
proclivity to flood if the floats aren't properly adjusted and the carb is
tilted excessively rearward.

Don't forget that an automatic transmission can stall an engine in certain
circumstances.  If the drive train is stopped suddenly, the automatic
transmission may not be able to de-couple the drive train from the engine
crankshaft fast enough.  In simple terms, this results in the engine being
dragged to a halt or stalled.  This might be what happened.

Just a few thoughts for you to chew on.

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |