Re: Tom's starter...

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

 >         My starter in the '74 does the same thing.  Have you thought to
>      open the hood and notice if the engine is indeed turning over during
>      this grrr noise?  Mine,  is because the ring gear is a little bit

I did more diangosing tonight..

It turns the whole time it's Grrring.. but *slowly*.  This would also
explain why it's so hard to start, if the motor isn't spinning as fast as
it should.

It's a brand new battery cable..

>      pull to change out the ring gear.  Did you use a different ring gear
>      when you did the swap, or a different one?  Did it ever do this in the
>      other truck?  Are you running your old starter with new ('v8) ring
>      gear?  Something is misadjusted it sounds like.  Match the parts back

OK, the starter is still bolted to the 304.  It was turning the motor
over like you wouldn't believe when it was still in the '72 chassis.  I
pulled the motor, then removed the flywheel to change the rear main,
reinstalled.  It's the V8 flywheel, and we inspected the ring gear -
looks fine.  Put the new clutch from the 4cyl on it (I had a 11" clutch
on the 4cyl, the V8 flywheel is drilled for 11" and 12").

I'm going to try pulling the new starter off the 196 and swap it to the
304 ASAP.  They're the same part.

>      up and try it, namely a starter change.  You might have a slightly
>      worn bendix pinion that is throwing the gear out of the ring gear.

My current theory is that we did the starter in while dropping the 304
into the '77.  That side of the engine bumped into a few things as we
lowered it down... so would a fair hit to the starter cause it to start
binding up, grinding, and turning slowly?

I pulled the flywheel inspection cover and had a look see and didn't see
anything that looked blatantly WRONG.

>         Hope this nonsense helps, and count me in for next year's twin shop
>      trip!, in addition to Tulare.  You planning on coming down to Cal for
>      that one?  It'd be great!

Contemplating it... I probably wouldn't drive.. hey, I'm halfway to a
free ticket now!  Just get work to send me on a trip or three between now
and then...

-Tom