Re: water injection

>Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 22:07:40 +0000
>From: Christopher Eveland <eveland@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Water Injection
>
>> On the other hand, George and Mike, most of us have experienced our
>> engines running better when it is raining. Years ago, when I was
>messing
>> around a lot with flat head Ford V8's, I devised a water injection
>system
>> that essentially made my Fords run as if it were raining. Then about
>10
>> years ago, I bought an Edelbrock Water Injection system and put it
>on my
>> Terra. The Terra ran much better with the water being injected by
>the
>> computer. No question in my mind that the water injection increased
>> power, eliminated pinging, and generally helped the engine run well.
>
>I think the reason that your engine runs better with the water
>injection/rain is that a) the state change from liquid to gas absorbs
>lot of energy and cools off your intake charge quite a bit, and b)
>you're running enough advance and/or compression to take advantage of
>it.  With the cooler intake charge you can get away with the extra
>compression/advance without detonation, whereas you would ping
>otherwise.  With water vapor already in the atmosphere, there is no
>state change, so no cooling takes place, and you get the pinging.
>
>- -Chris
>'67 800

Chris, well said.  When liquid is converted to vaper by absorbing energy
(heat) from the surrounding air, that air becomes cooler and "more
dense".  Using water injection on an engine is like operating it on a
cooler day.  No such advantage would occur if the water was already in a
vapor state before entering the engine.

As for  eliminated pinging, the water injected "droplets" helps to "slow
down" the combustion process, allowing for more advanced timing/higher
compression without detonation.   I ran water injection on a Turbo Buick
Regal when I disconnected the waist gate and doubled the poundage from
the turbo.  Before adding the water injection, the increased pressure in
the cylinders caused premature ignition and a faster burn of the chamber
gases, resulting in detonation.  It would "ping" like crazy unless the
water injection system was working.

Mike Ryan

1977 Scout II, 304 (ported 345 almost finished), auto 727, Dana 300,
4" Superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33" TSL Super Swamper Radials

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]