Re: Still need questions answered

>> What gear ratio would
>> you go with if you were going to go with 31s and run it to and on trails?
>> This truck gets driven A LOT on the road.  It has a 345/727/D20 combo and
>> 3.31s now.
>
>3.31's are just about right for a rig with 31's that sees a fair amount of
>on-pavement time.  Low enough for decent performance, but reasonable
>economy.  You'll be turning about 2300 RPM at 60 mph.  You can experiment
>with different axle ratios & tire sizes with the "RPM Wizard" on my site,
>located at http://www.binderbulletin.org/techlib/wizards/rpmwiz.asp
>
>Just plug in different numbers & click the button, and engine RPMs will be
>calculated for different tire & gear combinations.
>
>Bill Thebert

I agree with Bill 100 percent, Especially if you do much highway driving as
opposed to city driving. I think the 3.54's would be optimum, but not worth
the time/money to install. I had 31's with 3.31 gears in my Scout before I
went to 33's and 4.09 gears.  My 31's actually measured 29.5 inches tall at
30psi. With a 304 and living at 6,000 feet the power wasn't great, but
acceptable. At sea level it had plenty of power. The only time I really
wished for more power was climbing the Colorado mountains at the higher
elevations. With the 33/3.31 combo you'll be able to cruise at 85mph.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs, CO
1980 Scout