Scout running trouble

Just a little advice for those of you who have poor throttle response and a
general lack of power (no this didn't come as a factory option)...
When I bought my '65 Scout 80, it ran like a top, had plenty of power it
seemed, and had no hesitation during acceleration. However, it seems my Scout
has been slowly declining in general performance over the past year and a half
or so in which I've owned it. It has 46,000 orig. miles on the ticker, as it
was used as a farm work truck, and saw very little miles in its 33 year
hiatus. There are obviously many things to which you may attribute this.
Obviously the carb is the big one in this type of scenario. Well, I rebuilt
the carb four months ago, and yet, problems continue in their general downward
fashion. Could be the timing you say? Maybe, but this wouldn't affect the
entire rpm band unless it was severely maladjusted, which its not (0 deg.
tdc). I figured it just needed a tune up: new plugs, cap, rotor, timing set,
etc. Then today, I looked at the distributor for a while, and began pulling
wires out one at a time. Well, don't you know it, after having wondered what
the culprit was for over a year, I found it was none other than a bad wire...
How dumb of me not to check. Anyway, check your old IH wires is the moral...

By the way, I'm still doing that tune up. Can't hurt

Devin Smith
'65 Scout 80