Re: Flecks cams...

Joel:

They weld up the lobes to build them up. Then, they grind a new pattern
on the cam. Then hopefully, they heat treat it for hardness.

However, this has always made this process suspect in my mind. But, I've
never seen any proof that these were not acceptable cams.

This practice was more common in the past when you couldn't get any
"new" cams for lots of old cars. Now, there are cam grinds available for
about everything. In fact, the po of my scout pulled the heads at
120,000 miles to put an aftermarket "RV" cam in but found he couldn't
buy one for the IH V-8, so he just put it all back together. Now, there
are at least three sources for new cams for IH V-8s.

Tom H.