Test for PB

>But--how can I fix this?  Even the old cars that I used to drive (mid-
>'60s, like the T'all) I found relatively easy to keep in shape so that
>they would start easily.  Is this a "classic" problem, that someone will
>say, "Oh--*this* is what you do to fix this well known problem"?  If
>no one can tell me just what to do to fix this, can anyone tell me what
>to look for?  Is it possibly an ignition problem?  (I don't see why it
>would be, given that the car runs so well, once it starts.) Oh--usually,
>after it starts (during one of those hard start episodes) there is a bit
>of smoke--I wouldn't call it white, but it's not dark enough to be black,
>either--more like gray.  It clears up after 10 or 15 sec. of running.
>Also, the exhaust still smells like it's running rich.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>PB Schechter
>pb@domain.elided

PB
When your engine is hot and you would expect it to be slow to start, you
need to do an experiment. If the wing nut on your air cleaner is recessed
some, pour a couple of tablespoons of gas into the recess so it can
dribble down into the carb. As it dribbles, see if the vehicle starts
right up. If your air cleaner isn't built this way, you can devise
another way to do the same thing.

If it starts right up, your problem is that the float bowl(s) are
draining (probably boiling the liquid out). If it starts no better than
when not doing the experiment, we need to look at some other
possibilities. Most of the hot start problems I have ever encountered in
IH vehicles are because of this. The accelerator pump chamber holds some
gas of its own, and so the squirt isn't a good test, although I suppose
multiple squirts might be. Try the dribble and let us know what happens.
John H.