Diesels

Tom Madera wrote
>Hmm.. I'd heard the diesels are hot items in California.. as I
>understand, they're only smogged on title transfer.. so if you plan on
>keeping it forever, and you don't care what BigBrother thinks.. slap that
>392 in there!

If only it were so in Colorado.  Diesel vehicles must pass an annual dyno test
simulating going uphill at 45mph.  My Scout just lost another 5HP being recalibrated
to pass the test in Colorado Springs, where the air is rare.

In my opinion, if you have a diesel Scout, it is well worth keeping that way.  20+ MPG
in mixed on and off road driving, a 33 gallon fuel tank, and very low maintenance are
quite desirable.  Sure it is cold blooded, and changing the oil is a major pain, but
nothing else compares to the amusement of taking it to a tire shop and watching the 19
year old kid who just drove it in try to figure out how to kill the engine.  "I turned
the key off, but it just keeps running?!!"

Jim West
80 TurboDiesel Scout II
37 D-2
mid 50's 300 Industrial Tractor