Dual batteries

>No, but they didn't give a ton o details.  They were comparing to diode-
>based isolators, and other kinds of switches.
>
>Ken "who was daydreaming of a battery switch on my dash today" Farmer

Ken,
FWIW, In the past, I have preferred the marine type rotating switches
that are about 6" in diameter and by rotating the switch, you get a
choice of battery one, battery two, both batteries, or no batteries. I've
used these on Travelalls where I had plenty of mounting room. They last
forever as long as they don't sustain major physical damage. I've seen
people use a much smaller switch with a lever to operate it that switches
between the batteries and can also disconnect them. I really have no
knowledge about these.

The slickest electrically operated system I've seen was dual Ford type
starter solenoids that were switched from inside to offer the same four
options as the marine switch, but all done from two switches inside the
cab. A person could also use a DPDT switch to offer any three of the four
options all from one switch.

A digester or two, in the past has expressed concern over the Ford
solenoids being used to supply continuous power, but I've never seen this
problem in dealing with maybe thousands of vehicles that had Ford
solenoids. I just don't think they have problems with the contact staying
shut for long periods of time. Solenoids usually fail from arcing as the
contacts open and close. Admittedly, the concern expressed was over the
electromagnet windings being able to stay continuously energized, but
those of us who use Ford solenoids in our Scouts don't encounter this
problem. Basically, as I think about it, I'm using a Ford solenoid in my
Scout, with one battery, to do exactly what I'm describing in the dual
battery setup and it has worked this way for many years.

Thinking on my butt (at my chair) as opposed to on my feet, you could
have one of the solenoids activated by the key and so when the key was
on, there would always be power to start the vehicle (for any
mechanically impaired people who might be driving the car), and if I'm
thinking correctly, the only around the solenoid hot wire would be the
ignition switch, and the only directly key operated device would be the
solenoid. All other normally-key-operated devices would derive their
power from the activated solenoid. Actually, to repeat myself, this is
pretty much the way my Scout is wired.

Thinking more about this I've not accounted for accessory-position
operated devices, but rather than use more digest space, I'll put that
issue on the back burner (which doesn't get too hot anymore).

John H.