Roll Bars and Gas Tanks

Soak the bolts holding the gas tanks in with penitrating oil for a couple of
days before you get ready to pull them. These bolts are going to be rusted
badly and may break off, so be ready. If you haven't pulled the shields behind
the tanks you might want to do that ahead of time and wash out any dirt and
other debris found under the tanks.

It pays to install a large backing plate under the bench above the tanks to
help stengthen the installation. I used a 1/8" plate that was 3" larger than
the base of the roll bar in both directions. After having to pull the gas
tanks to remove the roll bar to paint the Scout, I welded the bolts to the
backing plate and used undercoating to glue the plate to the sheet metal. Next
time I have to remove the roll bar, I will remove the nuts from the top and
pull the bar up and off of the bolts.

The roll bar makes a great location to mount three point seat belts. If you
drill a hole in the bar for the shoulder belt. Weld a sleave in the hole to
keep its strength.

Mike Meyer
69   800