Silver Canyon road

>From: brendan_shepherd@domain.elided (brendan shepherd)
>Subject: White Mtn follow-up
>
>Totally awesome place. High desert terrain, ancient bristlecone pines, great
>views. The peak is third highest in Cali, 14,000 feet plus. Didn't do too
>much
>wheeling but did cruise down Silver Canyon road, which was a cake walk.
>Narrow
>and steep but not tough at all. There were about seven shallow stream
>crossings
>but I bet they'd be a lot tougher in the Spring. Coolest thing was that the
>road leads from high on the mountain (10,000 feet, at least) straight into
>Bishop at around 4,000.
>
>- -Brendan

Brendan,
I've been down that road a couple of times, just didn't realize that was
the name of the road. Went down there with a photo class one time just
after some flash flooding. Pretty interesting adventure. Some of those
students never signed up again. The road that goes down the back side of
the mountain is also very interesting and can have some interesting
moments. It's called Thompson Canyon or something like that, I think.
Photographically, I like going into the sun on both those roads. Silver
Canyon, in particular produced some wonderful long shots of golden power
lines going down the mountain. Actually, I am more likely to go down
Silver Canyon into the sun, because going in that direction, you are late
in the afternoon and it doesn't matter what time, within reason, you got
up to face the day. I can't camp up on top anymore, because the altitude
makes me feel like I'm in Colorado and all I do is pant.
Glad you had a good trip.
John H.