Re :Power steering for 800's

Matt Sopher was asking about power steering:
>3.    What year Scout II would I need to get out the power steering
assembly for my Scout 800? AND what all would I need to get? How much
"modifying" would I need to do?
4.    On that note, could I replace the steering column with a Scout II?
5.    Is there any other columns I could replace it with? Could I get
one out of a GM and just modify the "attachement" to the gearbox? Any
ideas?
7.    Back to power steering, would I need to replace or modify my
steering assembly, eg. steering arms, tie rods, etc?<

Matt,

  It's fairly easy on the later 800's,  provided it  originally had a V8.
The V8's used a steering box location similiar to the Scout II power ones.
I think all the Scout II power steering setups are the same, so it
shouldn't matter what you get.

  Take your manual box off and hack saw the mounting tab off the top side
of the frame.  Position the Scout II box in about the same place. I think
you can even use one of the same holes.  Make sure it's positioned so the
steering arm clears the front spring.  Once it's positioned to clear the
spring, you'll notice it isn't pointing exactly in line with your column.
You need to add a couple of steering type universal joints to compensate
for the slight misalignment.  I used a set of the u-joints that the speed
shops sell for hot rodders.

  Now you need to mount the pump.  The Scout II pump bracket won't clear
the fender well.  Some people cut a section of the fender well out to
clear.  I fabricated a completely new bracket.  I think some of the T-all
or pickup brackets might clear, though.

  No modifications to the tie rods.

  Last thing is to add another pulley on the crankshaft for the pump and
you're in business.  I think the pulley I used was off the Scout II.   Go
the auto parts store and experiment until you find the right belt length.

   Total job should take less than a day.  That Scout will steer so easy
you'll feel like you've died and gone to heaven.  After you get this
project done, you'll probably want to upgrade to Scout II brakes, but
that's whole 'nother story.

Doug, whose 800 steers and stops like a Scout II (almost)

PS, e-mail me if you've got any questions