Re: More TravelAll Stuff

----------
: I was told it was a Clark by the guy who rebuilt it, but it definitely
has a WEIRD shift
: pattern.
:
: 1    2    5OD
:
: R    3    4
:
: I'm always wanting to go into Reverse, and then I have to look at the
pattern all the time
: while shifting...
: 1st is pretty low though, so it's much easier to just start out in 2nd!
It actually seem lower
: than my wide ratio 4 speed in my Terra!
:
This Really looks like the T-34 shift pattern.  IH simply used the same
transmission setup and modified the 5th and 4th gears to get the overdrive
setup.  In reality, 4th is actually DIRECT, and is engaged exactly the same
way as the T-35 or T-36 5th speed. OD is the "4th" position with the
overdrive gear.

One way to tell if it is a T-34 is to get under the truck, and look at the
passenger side of the transmission. There should be a LARGE protruding 6
bolt P.T.O. mounting, which allows room for the reverse idler shaft.  The
transmission housing should be vaguely triangular in shape (i.e. larger at
the top than at the bottom)  The Clark is more Rectangular, with straighter
sides. It is much bigger than the T-34/35/36, and does not have this odd
protruding P.T.O. mount.

Check out the following site...it'll help you even more!!!

http://pacific.telebyte.com/allanw/binder/future.html

Your perception of the 1st gear being lower might be offset by slightly
different rear diff ratios, OR the fact the old T-24-35-36 trannies use
SQUARE cut gears, resulting in alot more noise, but a bit less rolling
resistance.(I think heheh;))  Alot of the old farm tractors used square cut
gears.