Re: transmisson

garry rudd wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Bought another Traveler a few days ago and dropped the tranny pan tonight.
> There was a light coating of metallic flakes on the bottom. Have not done an
> entire trans rebuild before or band replacement. Do the flakes come from
> band wear or is it usually something more serious.
>
> Regards,
>
> Garry
Garry,
There should be a slight amount of "color" in the bottom of the pan from
normal useage.What should concern you would be chunks of clutch material
or shavings of metal.A metal that looks of pot metal or casted
could mean a part of the pump.You will normally find some clutch
material in the pan between regular fluid changes and this is directly
related to maintenance and driving habits.
I believe the band is adjustable,but the how-to-paticulars will have to
come from someone with a automatic.I do know if you start slipping in
first or reverse you will be having to do a band as those two gears work
of of the same one.
One thing to check for is the smell of the fluid as you drain it,if the
trans has been overheated or not properly maintained the fluid will
smell burnt.
Make sure that you flush all the fluid out of the tranny cooler if it
has one and the cooler attatched to the radiator,or you will contaminate
the new fluid.
Dennis Z
In Oregon