Re: Spare Tire Carrier

Brent,

<<It seems that I may have read about this subject on the digest several
months back, but I need a refresher.  I am interested in putting a rear
tire carrier on my 79 SII.  I have heard that Kayline makes them as well as
several other small shops.  I have the regular bumper (not a step bumper)
and a receiver hitch which I use to pull my 2000+ lb boat.  What about
relocating the license plate bracket?  What are the opinions and general
feelings about the different tire carriers out there?>>

I bought a Kayline tire carrier, and within a year, the carrier had ripped up
the end caps on both sides where the carrier mounts at the top. If you install
a carrier, that bolts to the body in any way, be sure to make supports on the
body so that the mounts don't rip the body apart. What really ticked me off
was that neither Kayline (who I'm sure knew that it would happen) nor the
Scout dealer I bought it from mentioned making a support for it. The carrier
itself is nice, though.

STeve - 74 Scout II with the infamous 40 gallon tank.