Re: more distributor questions

> First, thanks to Tom Harias and John Landry for the distributor info.  I
> have been to the top of the mountain.  Anyhow, here's the story, I pulled my
> Holley points dist. ('73 Scout II, 345) to clean it up/inspect internals.
> After doing so, I reinstalled and now something kind of funny's happening.
> I had it timed to 10 BTDC and when I returned it to this setting, it runs
> well except this is about all the advance I get before the vac. advance unit
> prevents further rotation of the distributor (hits the water pump housing).
> It's running about the same as before, but I can't figure out why it would
> do this...Perhaps it's time to take her down to the distributor shop...

If I understand your problem correctly, what happened is that the
distributar shaft w/ the gear and rotor on it has rotated from when it
was installed previously.  This means that in order to get the timing to
10 degrees BTDC, you need to have the housing (with the cap) rotated by
the same amount, and as you have noticed, this means that you have
clearance problems.

If you pull out the distributor, and then put it back in rotated one
groove on the gear in whichever way will give you more clearance, you
should be set.  You might have to use a screwdriver to rotate the oil
pump shaft (I assume the IH motors are like this...mostly I've worked on
chevys) so that it will slide down in there.  Then, just find TDC again
and use that to get your initial timing.  You'll find that when you get
to your 10 degree setting, the housing of the dist will be in the
correct spot.

I hope this makes sense,

-Chris
'67 800