Re: Emissions, timing?

Rob:

Timing may not affect the "richness" of the mixture, but it does affect
emissions. It has been my experience that when the tech tests my
vehicles, if they are close to passing but not quite, they kill the
vacuum advance and that gets them by. The moral being, that retarded
timing cleans up the emissions both at idle and 2500 RPM test.

I suggest you to to factory specs and be sure you're using ported vacuum
for the vacuum advance.

I feel for you brother. I know how frustrating that crap is! I also know
how expensive it can get. I'm surprised the shop didn't just tell you to
leave it so they can run up a huge bill while they "fix it". We need
them to exclude not just 25 year old and older vehicles, but 20 year old
and older or at least make the "pre 74" rule advance one year for each
year the calendar moves up.

Tom H.