Cork fuel float-Dumb Idea?

I called Anything Scout, visions of truck stripping dancing in my head, and
the person I spoke with didn't seem too interested in my interest, just wanted
to sell me new parts, even though (or because?) I told them I was a friend of
Michaels.
So, I was in the mood to give the Harvester some attention and pulled the non-
functioning fuel level sender expecting to see worn rsistance wires.  The
wires were fair, but the brass float had gas inside it, so wasn't really a
float.
With safety glasses and leather gloves (really trying to remember safety
glasses) I put a small hole in the float and drained it.  Rinsed with water
several times, took it out back and carefully torched the seam figuring to
resolder and seal.  The brass is very thin and was rendered irreparable.
Driving to NAPA to see if they had such a thing, I had a brilliant-or-dumb
idea and stopped at the local hardware store and bought a large cork.  Put it
on, works.  Was this dumb?  Anyone know if the floats are available seperately
and if so should I get one?