Fireless!

My Heroes of Everflowing International Knowledge:

'Tis I again, back with yet another example of complete inadequacy in
the mechanical realm.
After attaining "turnover" in my engine, I thought I was surely
home-free, but have found that not to be the case.  After getting the
thing to turn over, I manually set  cylinder #8 to TDC-but forgot to
check the timing mark.  I then set the cap so the rotor was lined up
directly over (under) the #8 spark plug wire terminal.  I tried to start
it, gradually turning the cap in one direction, turning the key, then,
after turning as far as possible that way, gradually turning it back the
other, trying to turn it over every few degrees.  After realizing that I
had forgot to check for the timing mark, I reset this, but thinking that
the timing mark would automatically bring #8 back to TDC, on the
compression stroke, I didn't pull the plug manually to check, nor did I
remove the cap again to recheck this.  I plan to start this whole
procedure over again this morning, and was wondering if anyone had any
suggestions.  I'll be the first to admit that I get excited and then
disappointed very quickly when doing this stuff, which I know are very
BAD traits in mechanics, but then I usuallly have to quit to settle down
so that I can see things more clearly.  If anyone can see a flaw in my
methodology, please let me know.
On another note, is Doc Stewart on this digest?  If so, please drop me a
line.  I would like to ask you something.

TIA,

Michael