Fuel Tank Skid Plate Installation & "gas tank ?"

I'm catching up - been able to read but not write -

On Tue, 3 Mar "Eppinger.Michael" <Eppinger.Michael@domain.elided> wrote:
>Subject: Fuel Tank Skid Plate Installation
>
>Does anyone out there have the skidplate installed for the ~18 gallon fuel
tanks?  How did you do the nuts/bolts on the rear of the skidplate?
>The only idea I can come up with is to get some flat stock, drill the 3
holes, then weld the nuts or bolt heads to the flat stock to mount on that
ledge.

On Tue, 3 Mar"Dan Nees" <cookiedan@domain.elided> wrote
> Subject: gas tank ?
>
>I need to take out the gas tank in the 79 because it has a hole in the
tank. >But I can't get to the
>strap bolts because there is a little piece of steel bolted to the frame
with >three carriage bolts. I
>can't get two of the three bolts off because the bolts are spinning and I
>can't hold it. I don't want
>to try to cut them off because of the leak. What is the purpose of the
steel piece anyway? Is it for
>the skid plate? Was the skid plate an option?

I think I put a wrench on the 3 bolts, the two outside ones by reaching from
the outside, along the crossmember, the center one from the rear - putting
the wrench between the skidplate & the crossmember.

To get the stap bolts, put your deep socket & 6" extension in position, as
close as possible, then bend the J bolts so the socket slips in place.
Crank away until they snap or unscrew.

Hope this helps, even so late.
Bob