starting

>>   I finally decided that my problem must be located in the
starter/solednoid.  Thanks to all who helped out with info and comments.
So I pulled the starter, called up some places and got estimates on
prices-no problem.  I took the starter down to Checker to have it tested
(just in case) and it worked fine!  Arrggg!  I don't know what else to
check.  Could it be that there is somekind of intermitant malfunction?
Has anyone had any experience with this?

DurangoMan,

I don't remember all the things you've tried -- it seems like there are
always two or three people on the list with a starting problem -- but
here's an idea that might help if you've got an automatic:

Get down under the truck on the driver's side.  On the driver's side of the
tranny (727) there is a plug with three wires going into it.  This is the
Neutral Safety Switch.  It's supposed to keep the starter from engaging in
anything but Park or Neutral.  If it's gone bad, or your shift linkage is
way off, it might keep you from starting.  The way mine is, it will
sometimes not start in Park, but will always start in Neutral.

Take the two outside wires (the inside wire is for the backup lights) off
and -- bear with me here, I did this over a year ago -- either jump them
together, or ground them.  I can't remember how I made this work, but one
of those two things should eliminate the NSS from suspicion -- I think it's
jumping them together.

Anyway, if you don't have an auto, or if you've already tried this, forgive
the waste of bandwidth.

rob