Slow Turnover

Scouts, Pick-ups, Travelalls:
Lend Me Your Years,
(of experience!)

I have at long last gotten my 345 back together after three months of
fighting rain and unruly professors for the free time to complete the
job.  I am he of the "Rope in the Cylinder" tales-and jokes, no
doubt-but am now ready to proceed.  I have everything back together, all
the hoses on, all the wires attached, etc.  I have gone out to start it
and found that the battery was dead.  This is not surprising, but when
trying to jump start it with my '66 Dodge, with a 383, I can get the
thing to turn over, but not fast enough to fire.  Even when using a
"Club" as a throttle to rev the thing while attempting to start the
Scout (much better than a 2x4, Tom; the club is adjustable!) I can get
just a very slow turn.  I tried charging the battery with a home
recharger, and it read that the battery was full, but I still get no
turnover.  The battery is only two-and-a-half years old, but has been
dragged down a few times in its life by a short that I had for a while,
and has had a few periods of two to three months with no activity, but I
would think it would still have a little life in it.  Even if it were
dead, I would think that the 383 would produce enough charge to turn the
thing over.  Am I missing something, or is the easiest way to check this
just to go get a new battery.  I hate to buy one if not necessary, but
cannot think of anything else.  I realize the starter could be going
bad, but I thought they pretty much started either working or not
working when their time came.  One time it would start, one time it
wouldn't-is this the case, or am I wrong?  Any other suggestions?  If
anyone is on real time and has any suggestions, I need them quickly, as
I got another notice on my car yesterday that if I didn't move it it
would be towed as abandoned.  I pushed it about half a block, but don't
know how much longer they are going to buy this.  I must get this thing
running soon!!!  Please help!

Michael