Re: Clutch

Mike-

I ran into a similar problem in my '69 800.  I had an open cover
pressure plate and I replaced it with NAPA's match up which was a closed
cover.  I put this clutch on my engine and installed the engine, hooked
everything up (just had rebuilt it..) and I couldn't adjust the clutch
to where it would release at all.

Pulled the engine again (took an hour or so...), took the pressure plate
off and called about 15 states before I could find one of the open faced
ones.  So I put this on and put it in and the same thing happened.  This
time it was fixable, though.  There were three retaining clips which
were compressing the springs.  I released these clips (through the
flywheel cover) and then backed off some bolts which went through the
springs with an open end wrench.  This did the trick, cause the fingers
moved right out to meet hte bearing.  Course, I couldn't let them all
out the same amount (there is a pretty tight tolerance on the relative
distance between the three bolts..) so I have a bit of chatter now.
Works, though.

I'm not sure what you mean by a multi lever diaphram, but I think the
three lever release is what mine takes.  I have the closed face 10 inch
pressure plate that NAPA gave me (they refunded my money and let me keep
the plate...) Lemme know if you want it (it's brand new.)

Brian

arnetb@domain.elided