Auxilary leaf springs

Hi all,

My '71 truck (a 1310 4x4 with dual rear wheels) has a factory installed
heavy duty rear spring package with auxilaries. I can make that up from the
lineset ticket.
The upper spring leafs from the auxilaries have some steel blocks welded
onto them, so that they meet the frame about an inch earlier than they
would without them. I'm not sure if these blocks should be there
originally, or that the previous owner  installed them for some reason.

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks,
Paul