Tie-rod vs Drag-link vs Link-rod vs Track-rod vs Panhard Bar

Tom, Ed,

     The Tie-rod is the rod with two ball joints (one on either end) that
link the front wheels together.  The ball joints have a reverse thread on one
side, so that you can adjust the length using a turnbuckle effect of the bar.
It's called a tie-rod because it ties the two wheels together.  The scout has a
rod that comes from the pitman arm of the steering box and goes to the front
right wheel.  This rod is actually the drag link.  Though drag link is normally
termed to the rod that comes from the steering box and point fore or aft to the
LEFT front wheel (almost any other truck incl. Chev and IH pickups/t'all),
typically a rod of 12- 18" in length.  The scout 'drag-link' is usually called a
link rod or track-rod, as it points accross instead of inline with the direction
of travel.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.