Re: ihc-digest V5 #216 Welder

Don't go with the flux wire, it doesn't compare to shielding with gas.
There is enough that can go wrong with welding to tie your hands behind
your back.  Keep explaining, and explaining, and remain patient.  Point
out that the shield gas can't burn,  that is the point of its' existence.

I have a Hobart Handler.  I'd buy another if I had to do it over again.
Of course now if the opportunity presented itself I might just go whole
hog and pop for the TIG.  Now that I understand what it's all about.

As far as the Lincoln stick (nothing wrong with the Lincoln part, just the
stick part) welder, don't waste your money.  I watch my cousin weld with
one of these on the farm.  It is like watching nuclear destruction.  This
is suitable only for bulldozer blades in my opinion.  I know there is
someone out there who can weld sheet metal with one but I would be willing
to bet $$ that normal welders can't.  There is a reason that TIG and MIG
are really the only types used in industry.  The only exception I know of
is heavy construction welding.

I weld 1/4" with my Hobart, I just make a couple passes.  It much easier
to make an extra pass or two for heavy work, than to try to weld sheet
metal with a heavy welder.

Thanks for listening!

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "'Necessity' is the plea for every
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/   infringement of human freedom.  It is the
   _/        _/ _/   _/         argument of tyrants; it is the creed of
 _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/          William Pitt, 1783