Re: Smog Controls on 1974 Scout II

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998 12:51:24 -0800 "Jim Marziani" <jim@domain.elided>
writes:
>Can anyone tell me what type of smog equipment is required on a 50-state
>(California) 1974 Scout II with 345 V8 and manual transmission?  Is this
>info posted in a FAQ or Government web site somewhere?

I can't tell you if the info is available anywhere, but I have a copy of
an IH service bulletin listing the emission controls on 1974 vehicles,
SLF-73-22.  For a California Scout V-345, it looks like you should have:
1. Gasoline Evaporative Loss Control System (Charcoal Canister)
2. PCV system
3. Engine modifications:Relocated spark plug ports in the cylinder heads,
temperature modulated air cleaner, exhaust manifold heat regulator valve.
4. Carburetor/choke:Carter Thermo-Quad carb, remote mounted vacuum
pull-off choke
5. Ignition System:Electronic ignition
6. Road Speed Controlled Vacuum Spark Advance System.
7. Air Injection System
8. EGR Valve

On the subject of the evap loss system, from the service letters I have,
it looks like all Scout II's prior to 75, not just California, should
have had the charcoal cannister (except possibly Canada--the letter
doesn't separate them).  For 75-78, only California Scouts had the
cannister.  For 1979, all US Scouts had it, but Canadian Scouts did not
and for 1980 the info I have seems to indicate only California again, but
it's not real clear on this.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]