Sick of Worry With Transfer Case Grinding

>I have not had a need for 4lo in a while and that grinding noise really
makes me sick with worry, so I would >rather not fool around with it too much.

My foolproof method is to shut the engine off first.  Slides right in.
Everytime.  Then start engine again.  When coming out of 4lo, shut the
engine back off.

Greetings my friend, we are all interested in the future, for
that is where you and I are going to spend the *rest* of our
lives.  And remember my friend, future events such as these
will effect *you* in the future.

--Criswell Predicts, from Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space"