Re: ihc-digest V5 #210

>Every now and then, I turn the key, and the starter just gives me a
>horrible grinding sound.. Reminds me of when someone accidentally hits
>the starter while the truck is running.
>
>Try it again, works fine.
>
>Am I right in guess the starter is not engaging the flywheel when this
>happens (truck doesn't move at all)?  What would make this happen?  It's
>just a 196 with the stock manifolds, not headers.
>
>Is it just crud gumming things up?  Do Need to clean the starter at all?

Tom,
That noise is the small gear on the "bendix" not engaging the ring gear
or flywheel. The problem could be the teeth on the little gear, the teeth
on the ring gear or flywheel, crud on the drive not allowing a nice clean
push into engagement, or loose bolts holding the starter in which would
allow the starter to drop to a slight angle. If the starter you bought
was a lifetime, its lifetime is probably about up and the easiest way to
do a diagnosis is to stick a new starter in and see if it still
occasionally fails to engage, in which case you have a problem of a
different order which hopefully will wait until you change the engine.

If the starter you bought wasn't a lifetime rebuild, then you probably
will want to drop the starter and take a good look at it. Grease the
drive gear that throws the little gear forward before putting it back in.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"