Re: ihc-digest V5 #206

>From: bard@domain.elided
>Subject: Towing limits ?
>
>What are the towing limits for my '77 Scout II with a class IV hitch and
>a set of add-a-leafs all around ? I was wondering because I often tow
>about 7500# of airstream
>around. The trailer has equilizer bars, electric brakes {new}, and a
>sway bar and generally pulls like melted butter. I only have problems on
>intense grades or in Wyoming {Gale force} winds. What suggestions does
>anybody have for improving the handling class in this case ?

Bard,
There seems to be general agreement that a good rule of thumb for towing
is for what is being towed not to exceed the weight of the towing
vehicle, but factors such as wheelbase also enter into this. In my
opinion your Scout and your Airstream should do well together as long as
you set up the respective heights of your ball and your coupler
carefully, and then adjust your equalizers to maintain the level of your
trailer and Scout. Don't compensate for poor hitch matching with your
equalizers. They should bring the vehicles back up to level when the
trailer's weight is applied to the hitch. I'm working on a thread on
trailer pulling for the FAQ, but I'm not getting there very quickly.

Without being facetious, I suggest that you avoid intense grades when
possible and always avoid traveling in gale force winds. In Nevada, I've
trailered up Hiway 95 in very strong winds with snow on the highway, and
saw numerous vehicles (mostly VW vans) blown off the highway. By being
very careful, and having good luck, my family survived my being where I
really shouldn't have been at the time I was there.
To get over highway 108 across Sonora Pass over the Sierra's when I
reached the last couple of hundred yards before the top, I would have to
go to 4W Lo in my SSII to get the trailer up and over. This was partly
due to the fact that International's carbureted V8's tend to get very
oxygen starved at high elevations. Sonora Pass is about 9200 feet. The
worst thing about having to go to 4Lo was having to stop to put the
transfer case into 4Lo and then getting moving again.Lower gearing in
your differentials would help in cases like these, but unless you do it
yourself, you're probably talking about a couple of thousand dollars and
then when on the highway, not towing the trailer, it sounds like you
always need to shift up one more gear. The problem in California-sold
Scouts of the late 70's was exacerbated by the fact that you couldn't get
the high altitude setup that was available elsewhere as an option.
In Leadville, Colorado a local told me to turn the air cleaner top upside
down and that would help at 10,000 ft. If it did, it didn't much.

On my Terra, the Holley EFI is much better, but I have to adjust the
settings as I climb.
Have fun and be careful.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"