Quadrajet Carb's

Ken wrote:
>I'll probably go back to the q-jet now that the California emissions
>laws won't bother me. And I'm sure my scout with the q-jet would still
>pass emissions. :)

  I just wanted to mention for all the California residents that you still
might want to think twice before you remove your emissions equipment (1973
and earlier vehicles). Even though you don't have to worry about the
bi-annual inspection you could still be called in for an smog test.
California is planning on installing roadside detectors around the state.
If your vehicle is way over the limit you could get a notice in the mail to
go to a smog station. I'm not sure what would happen if you don't have any
smog equipment. They also did away with the requirement for a smog check
when a vehicle is sold, so I don't know how they could hold you
responsible. Unless, they check the records and you have owned the vehicle
since before the new program.

>Anyone have experience rebuilding a Quadrajet? Are they any more
>difficult than a Holley 2210? Are there any good Rochester carb books
>that would explain rebuild and operational theory?

  There are a few more parts in a Quadrajet, but it's not difficult to
rebuild. HP Books has a decent Rochester book. Summit Racing
(1-800-230-3030) should be able to order it for you as they sell other HP
books. If it's still in print. Mine is over 10 years old.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs, CO
1980 Scout II