Working Solo

Chris,

I've been working solo on vehicles so long that even my son hates to work
with me, I almost never have anything for him to do.

Most pro mechanics always work solo, except for the occasional "hold this
*%$#^& nut for me.  Or lifting heavy things.

The secret is to start getting yourself real mechanics tools.  Mostly they
are to enable one man to do all sorts of things easily.  Your general
tools are fine, don't spend serious$$$ on fancy wrenches.  What you want
is the specialized tools, like a one-man brake bleader.  It is a small
vacuum pump that is used to draw a vacuum on a mason jar which is in turn
hooked to the bleeder screw with a short plastic hose.  Works great and
fast!!  I've taken my brakes apart a bunch for one silly reason or
another.  I don't even think about bleeding anymore, its so easy.

BTW when using this technique keep the reservoir full, you can suck it
dry in short order.  Also, the brake fluid will come out of the bleeder
screw mixed with a lot of air and will look almost frothy.  What's
happening is that the bleeder screw is no longer sealed in its hole when
you loosen it.  Air is drawn in around the threads and mixed with the
fluid to make froth.  Doesn't get into the actual brakes though.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "'Necessity' is the plea for every
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/   infringement of human freedom.  It is the
   _/        _/ _/   _/         argument of tyrants; it is the creed of
 _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/          William Pitt, 1783