Andrew-Dimming lights

Andrew,

I had the exact same problem with my charging system.  I went through several
alternators and voltage regulators.  I even did all of the standard wiring
clean and checks.

It turned out to be a bad wire, sense I think, between the alternator and
voltage regulator.  I don't know if it was shorted or just had high
resistance.  The output would be steady if the battery were drawn down to the
point where the alternator was charging at full output.  That would lead me to
believe a resistance problem...

I never did bother to repair the wiring.  I converted my alternator to
internally regulated so I simply bypased the wiring altogether.

If I knew then what I know now, I would make a test wire and replace each wire
between the regulator and alternator in turn until I found the problem.

Hope it helps....

Gary
:::name no longer witheld:::