For the Record: my 72

Those that have heard this story, or don't care, I apologize.. here's the
"short" version.

I sold a co-worker a computer as a "favor" in June 96.  Found her husband is
a body man, so in Oct 96 I had him change some gaskets and such on my '72
Scout II, and give me an estimate on the floor boards /body mounts up
front.. $675.

March or so of '97, they asked me to build a computer for his brother.. deal
was $2100 cash to be paid within one month, which was my cost on the stuff,
and then the body man would fix the floor boards / mounts as my "markup"

I delivered the computer, got $300 before hand, and $600 shortly afterwards.

I took my Scout in around early May for him to fix it.  "No rush" (hey,
we're tradin', right?)

I received another $500 at some point.. so $700 left owed.

I asked him periodically how my Scout was coming along, "well, I haven't had
a chance to really get to it yet..."

6 months later, still owes $700, and winter is approaching.. so I ask if
it's done YET.  "Oh, you gotta sign this work order first"  FINE...

I get a work order.. for $1,158, with a $300 "credit" on the computer.. he
thought he owed me $300 cash, and renegged on the "bartered work".

I said fix it and call it even, or hand it back over along with the $700...

He said he'd done some work already, and wanted $100 to cover what he'd done
(removed the front seat).  B.S.

Two demand letters from me n' my attorney, he still refuses to return the truck.

(Note that the work order says, in big hand-written lettering, "Customer
must sign before work can start".. and I never signed)

File in small claims, he removes to Justice Court (you can have lawyers)

The whole time I get harassing phone calls from him, he flips me off at
every opportunity, Julie finds spit on her windshield when his wife parks
next to her car (apparently his wife works with me, and attends the Vo-tech
on occasion)

He's been trying to bully me and push me the whole time..

He files a counterclaim, claiming the PC I sold him in '96 is junk and they
want their money back (on a 2yr old computer, when I gave them a 1yr
warranty that I fulfilled).

Yesterday, his lawyer finally convinced him to return my Scout to me.. today
we had the scheduling conference.. his lawyer wants time to ask me
questions, I then get to answer, he then gets to decide if he wants to ask
more.. etc.  Court is tentatively set for May 14th!

But, my Scout is home.  The area behind the rear fenders has been kicked in,
there's some funny white paint on the inside tailgate I don't remember, and
there's that crusty brown-sugarry stuff in the gas tank fill neck.

Plus, 9 or 10 months of not having my Scout!!

NO WAY my '72 will be ready for the Jamboree in June, (or done by my wedding
in June, either).  It's now been pushed back to a "next summer" due date..

It helps that I still have to fix the floor rust, plus buy a new battery (he
left the key on), drain the gas tank and other fun things..

(as for the 'tank, I hate spending the time and $$$ to flush it, since I
*do* want to put in a 33gal unit at some point.. just not tomorrow)

So.. there's the short version of my tale.  One big pain in my ass for the
last few months..

What an obnoxious, unintelligent jerk...

*sigh*

Time for a new bumper sticker.. "Some people live only because it is illegal
to shoot them"

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Scout II - back home!
'77 Scout II - 31s, 4", air, 4.09s, 196, track-lok, 3spd