Rebuilding

I second John H.'s advice about finding a good machine shop, but will
caution that finding a good one may not be the easiest thing. If someone
won't talk to you at length about your project(within reason, nobody's
gonna put up with an inveterate time-waster ;)), or if they won't let you
watch them take the initial bore measurements and explain exactly what
machining steps they will take, look elsewhere. A good shop will also get
you a great deal on the engine kit, since they make good money on the
machining(if they're smart) they shouldn't need to gouge you on the kit
price. I'd recommend TRW for the kit, I think most shops are TRW jobbers if
they're worth their salt. In the case of my 304(STILL not installed, thanks
Mr. El Nino), IIRC the kit price was about the same as mail order from
Northern. My local shop charges a piddly $50.00 for a short block assembly,
so I'd be nuts to put it together myself(that'd be about $5.00/hour for
me), especially considering the warranty aspect.

Jim