Re:Clutch fans

>     Also the clutch fan is very difficult to find as I think that there
>are no
>more 'new' manufactured clutches.  I ended up turning my clutch into a rigid
>mounting.  The rigid fan and clutch fans require two different water
>pumps, and
>I'm not sure if you can find a clutch fan that will bolt on the IH rigid
>pump
>that will not put the fan blades into the rad.
>
>     There would be no noticable inprovement in fuel economy with e
>clutched fan
>than a rigid one.  The engine temps are not appreciable unless you are
>changing
>the temp greatly during the day.  What kind of outside temp change is it?
>20 at
>night to 100 during the day?  Usually you can change the thermostat
>cheaper than
>a clutch.
>
>Good luck,
>

>     -Joel Brodsky
Joel and Darrel,
Right after making my post, I looked in the Summit catalog and I see that
they have Fan clutches that are non thermal and ones that are thermally
operated and come on when the engine temp requires it. For some reason, I
didn't realize they made the latter, which are half again as expensive.
For not much more than the price of the cheap clutch Darrel could get the
largest Flex-a-lite fan his vehicle could use, never have to worry about
a clutch going out, get a horsepower gain, and greater fuel economy (not
much I admit) And Darrel, it's safe to 10,000 rpm which is very important
with your IH. grin
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"