Close Ratio/Wide Ratio

I'd just like to point out that this close/wide terminology is all
relative.

What we're calling a close ratio in a truck transmission is a very wide
ratio in most automobile applications.  It takes a bit of effort to get
the gears spun up to speed when downshifting from a 2.41 second gear to a
4.02 first--that's a 67% increase in RPM's. (The wide ratio is a 104%
increase--3.09 to 6.32.) A GTO never had anything close to that.  A 40%
change would probably qualify as wide ratio in a car.  The weight of
automobile gears is probably about 1/2 of those in your Scout which also
affects how quickly the RPMs can change.

All this just means it's going to take time to make that shift, either up
or down, with the Warner Gear transmissions although I'm able to jam mine
into low when lugging up a hill without losing what little momentum I've
got or clashing gears when the ground speed is low so I'm not sure those
having problems downshifting might have a mechanical problem, or are just
expecting too much of this transmission.

And for the guy who asked, your T-19 HAD a synchronizer for the low gear,
whether it's working now or not.  Will it go into low at 5 mph if you let
it take its time?  If so, its still working.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]