Horns, Reliability, and Stalling

Jim Grammer <jimg@domain.elided> wrote about some Delco horns

Jim,

My existing Scout2 horn sounds like something from a yugo.  I'm going
to replace it with something substantial.

The folks at Signaltone are sending me a shipment of various loud horns
that they carry.  I'll record each one and make them available on the
web somewhere (probably on the faq).  These will range from 115 to 135 db.
This will take me 2-4 weeks to get done.

gehl@domain.elided wrote:

>I had a dream.
>I actually drove my Scout2 from Indiana to work in midcoast Maine
>this summer. 1300x2 miles!  Is this too much to ask of a Scout2?
>Would you take your Scout this far from home?  Mark

I've got two IHs, and nothing else.  When repairs are necessary I bite
the bullet and make sure it is done right.  When I bought them there
were some repairs that were due, but now after a few years I'd take them
anywhere without hesitation.

Hey, what do you folks think about stalling & manual transmissions
off road?  I know that some folks prefer automatics for just that reason,
but I've got a T-19 in my Scout along with a 304 - so I'm not changing
it.  However, I want to minimize the problem before going on any steep
trails.  This situation with loosing our brakes so quickly on a stall
seems like an invitation to a rollover.  My plan so far is to install
my new MSD 6A & blaster coil and to turn up my idle speed off road.  Any
other thoughts?  I'd really like to not loose my brakes on stall...

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II 304, T-19, 3.73, MSD 6A & rust repair & rollbar & coatings
        in the next 30 days!
1974 Travelall 392, 727, 3.73, NP205, Delco HEI rust may be terminal
        :(