Re: Loadstar 1600 Truck Question

Tom and Amanda Lang <rustnrot@domain.elided> wrote:

<<A friend of mine has a 1972 Loadstar 1600 dump truck with 345 2bbl, 4
speed
manual tranny, 2 speed rear end.  Believe it or not, his first I-H.  He
now
owns a Scout 800A, 1970 with 36k miles ;)  Anyway, for the Question.
Howard, prolly need your help here - what kind of 4-speed tranny is in
it?>>

   Tom,

       The most popular 4 speed used in the '70's LoadStar trucks was a
New Process model 435, IH model T-17, or T-18 depending on which side the
pto opening is on. This is not the same as the Warner model T-18, IH
model T-45 that is used in other light line models.

 <<It appears 4th gear synchro is out.  Went out suddenly.  Grinds going
into
fourth.  Is it possible the synchro could be *stuck*?>>

   I don't think it is possible for the synchro to stick so that it would
not function. the most likely problem would be that the synchro, or shift
fork is worn out. The shift forks use plastic inserts in them that can
wear out. Check the shift lever for looseness where it pivots in the
shift cover. Also make sure nothing is interfering with the shift lever,
keeping it from traveling far enough to go all the way into 4th gear.
Since the problem occurred suddenly a spring, or blocking ring in the
synchronizer could have broken.

<< Would taking the shifter off the top and "freeing stuff up" in there
help any?  Or is it
likely to be *toast* and might as well jerk it outta there and carry to
the
rebuild shop?>>

  You can remove the tunnel cover on the floor, and clean the dirt/
grease around the shift cover, and remove it to inspect for wear/ damage.
The shift fork can be repaired, or replaced without removing the trans.
Synchro replacement will require transmission removal. It sounds pretty
likely that you have a Synchro "*toasted*", but it might be worthwile to
make sure before going to all the work of removing the trans/ pto/
driveline/ etc..

   << Would one of the Clark or I-H 5 speeds with overdrive (if he could
find one) work?>>

   The IH 5 speed's will work fine, but would require a different
bellhousing, and shortening the driveline a little.
    The Clark 5 speeds will also require a different bellhousing, and
shorter driveline. Also the Clarks were not used in LoadStar models. they
were used in S series models beginning in the early '80's models. Since
the S series use a different rear engine mounting arrangement, some
rework of the bellhousing, or fabrication of mounts would be required.
    Another possibility for a replacement would be a New Process 5 speed.
this would probably fit your existing bellhousing. There are some
overdrive models available as well.

  <<Tom (hoping it's a common type tranny that we can get parts for if we
elect
to rebuild it) Lang>>

   Parts for New Process tranny's are  common and inexpensive compared to
other makes. It is also a fairly easy transmission to work on.

  Good luck

Eldon McFarling
Ceresco, NE
'80 Scout II Turbo Diesel
Eldon_McF@domain.elided
IH SCOUT DIESEL PAGE    http://members.aol.com/EldonMcf/scoutd.html

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]