Re: Question about Trannies...

On Mon, 09 Feb 98 08:38:54 PST8 jmbrodsky@domain.elided writes:

>     This past weekend I saw (and picked up, Thanks Mark) some
>parts from a 1970 1210 3/4T pickup/flatbed.  The engine was the
>PowerThrift Six, but it had an automatic on it that had these
>three vents behind the torque convertor.  one up top,and one on
>either side.  I've seen a few 727s out, and they don't look
>anything like this.  Also the bolt pattern looked smaller than
>the 727.
>
>Big Q:  What the heck kind of tranny is it, and should I Maybe
>put that in where my 727 is now in my '75 150 4wd Travelall?
>
>     My guess is that the PowerThrift is the I-6 258, but was
>there a different automatic behind it?

If it's a 1970, then I think you're looking at a 6-232 and a Borg Warner
Automatic.  The 6-258 came in about the start of the Scout II late in the
71 model year and I'm sure the same time frame would apply to the
pickups.  It should be a real screamer in a 3/4T when you load it down
with about 4000 lbs of wood! (But then the 6 was even the "standard"
engine in the 1500 series too--hope no one bought one.)

The Borg Warner was used through 1972, with the Chrysler starting with
the 73 models.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]