Re: ihc-digest V5 #166 Wandering Scout

Bias ply tires

Oh man if you go from radial to bias ply tires on some of our rutted
highways it will drive you crazy.  Bias ply tires follow EVERY
irregularity in the road.  Only by switching back and forth will you
notice it.

This tendency to follow cracks and ruts is called "nibble" by tire
engineers.  It was talked about quite a bit in auto mags when the world
switched to radial tires back in the '70s.  After everyone was switched
to radials nobody mentioned it anymore.  Maybe we should again.

For tires to be used on the highway, please use radials.  Our highways
are so rutted by the big trucks that bias are not really a good idea.
Off road, or a low speed, this is not a factor.  BTW when our current
highways were designed and built trucks didn't weigh anything like they
do now.  This is the main reason why the highways are rutted.  Just look
carefully at the road surface during a rain.

In the old days everybody was always "sawing" the steering wheel all the
time.  Ball joints & tie rod ends are better now but the main thing is
the bias ply tires.  Watch the other drivers, you don't see the sawing
any more.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "'Necessity' is the plea for every
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/   infringement of human freedom.  It is the
   _/        _/ _/   _/         argument of tyrants; it is the creed of
 _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/          William Pitt, 1783