Re: Diesel alternators

<Gary wrote>
<<Oops, almost forgot, any of you diesel Scouters out there having any
alternator or charging problems?  I just rebuilt my four spare
alternators
(new brushes, bearings, oil seal, rectifier, slip rings turned and/or
replaced, stator and rotor cleaned and resealed and cases shotblasted)
and
have converted two to a one wire system.  I did them each a little
differently
(as an experiment) but they work flawlessly and put out an honest 50 amps
(stock is like 37 amps).  The rebuilds have also solved my "ticking"
ammeter
problem.  Never knew those 100w Hella headlights could be so bright....

If anyone is interested I'll share my findings with you and can even
convert
yours for you.  I'm passing along my information to Judi at JESCO so that
they
can perhaps do the same thing.>>

  Gary,

    I have had 2 alternator problems with my '80 Diesel since it was new.
The first problem  was  the strap that connects the rectifier to the
output terminal inside the alternator. This strap overheated, and melted
because the connection to the output terminal was dirty/ rusted/
corroded. The insulator between the output terminal, and the rear frame
cracked, and fell out when the terminal overheated,  allowing the
terminal stud to short against the frame, causing the strap inside to
fail. This was about 5-6 years ago, and I had a spare used alternator
that I put on while I repaired my original Alternator. I have seen
several failures similar to this on other Diesel Scouts.

   The second problem was with my spare. About a year ago it developed a
serious oil leak from the vacuum pump seal. I replaced it with my
original alternator, and it's still working great. I still have the
original regulator, and wiring.

  Since I don't have any extra load (no A/C, no 100w Hella's, no winch)
the stock alternator output has been adequate for my type of use. I am
interested in finding out what you did to increase your output, and your
one wire conversion. Please share any information you have.

  Thanks

Eldon McFarling
Ceresco, NE
'80 Scout II Turbo Diesel
Eldon_McF@domain.elided
IH SCOUT DIESEL PAGE    http://members.aol.com/EldonMcf/scoutd.html

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]