Drivelines

FYI.. just spoke with Tom Wood @ Six States 1-800-453-2022

Double Cardan "CV" yoke for Dana 20 runs ~ $50

A brand new, CV long-travel (10" of slip joint travel) runs $255.. top of
the line.

"Regular" type CV front end - $225, and $195 for the "low end" front 'shaft.

Long travel rear came in at $185, with $165 for a conventional.

I *finally* got some idea on CV joint life... CV life is the same as the two
U-joints in the CV.. thus, for a spring over rear, with about 15 degrees of
rear driveline slope, you're looking at 6 degrees of angle for each U-joint
in the CV, and 0 degrees for the pinion U-joint.  7 degrees is Spicer's max
recommendation, and you get full life out of it (I do believe).  Per some
info in a 4x4 rag a while back, I'll guess that "ful life" would be running
your truck 16hrs a day for a full year.  (they said 1/4 is 150days @ 8hrs)

OTOH, you could use two conventional U-joints on the rear, at 12 degrees
each, and hit the 1/4 life limit.

I'm guessing it'll run me $100 or so to have my stock rear 'shaft
lengthened.. or, I can spend the $185 and have a new 'shaft with a longer
travel slip joint made for the rear.  I don't know what a CV based rear
'shaft would run.  4x the life sounds like it's worth the extra expense though.

And, as I've mentioned before, I'm already tossing out the front driveshaft
for a CV in any manner.. for a new one, probably the $255 unit.

-Tom