Re: Cold Shifting, Alternator charge circuit

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Darrel Kline wrote:

>   I have trouble shifting my Scout when the weather is cold.  It has
> the close ratio T19.  It's very difficult to get into first gear, and
> next to impossible to make the 1-2 shift.  After about 3 minutes of
> driving it shifts ok.  And it's not much fun driving the first mile to
> work in first gear.  I suspect the oil in the transmission is the
> cause of my problems.  I'm going to replace the oil, maybe with the
> Amsoil brand.  The Amsoil oil is synthetic and is supposed to improve
> cold weather shifting.  At least that's what the advert. says.  Anyone
> have any recommendations?

I used to sell Amsoil -- no wait don't shoot, it was a long time ago! :)
I didn't do very well with the multilevel stuff and I don't like a lot
of what goes along with that part of it, but they do have _very_ good
products.  I have to confess I haven't switched all my vehicles over to
synthetics yet, but if I lived in a cold climate, I'd make sure
everything that uses oil was running synthetics before winter set in.
If you can barely move the shifter, just think what's happening to your
bearings & gears until that dino juice warms up.  Also think about all
that gas you're burning just to turn your trans & differential gears
over in that stuff when it's almost solid.  Does the phrase "molasses in
January" ring a bell? :)

> Problem is I have to do something with the 10 gauge wires going to the
> amp gauge.  There are 3 wires connected to the gauge.  One to the fuse
> block, one from the alternator, and one to the starter(?).  Do I need
> to keep all these wires when I remove my amperage gauge?  Can I just
> run the charge wire directly to the battery and another wire directly
> to the fuse block?

Yes, that'll work fine.  The starter "B" terminal is hooked directly to
the battery +, that's why the wire goes there.  I guess they figured it
was a little closer than the battery and they'd save some wire.  But I
think it's a better idea to run it direct to the battery instead and
keep it away from the exhaust manifold's heat.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 //  VISA & MasterCard
* HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
  Grain mills, water filters, quality simple lifestyle & outdoors products
* INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783