Tranny vibe? David....

David,

        Loosen the drive shaft mounting caps on the U-joints,
and re-center the U-joints in the yokes.  A change of as little
as 1/16" in the position of the U-joints can cause all kinds of
head-aches.  I'll put money that if you carefully center the
joints, on both ends of the rear shaft, and make sure the front
hubs are unlocked with the T/C in 2, your vibe will be
significantly reduced!

     Sounds to me like if it were the flywheel it would make the
vibe in neutral too!  Does it?  If you get moving about 50 mph on
a lonesome road, and push in the clutch and shut off the motor,
does the vibe quit?  You can isolate which side of the setup it's
on by some simple clutch play.  Usually a warped flywheel will
result in 'chatter' upon disengagement of the clutch, ie. first
gear starts.  Does it?

     Let us know.  My scout was my first Automatic.  I learned
manual on a '63 Corvette 3spd non-synchro 1st.  Needless to say
my dad made me get it right!  Is your clutch slipping?  When
you're about half way through 1st gear, try applying more power
suddenly and feel if the revs come upp faster than the speed
you're used to.  Also try pushing in the clutch after you're
rolling about 25, then let it back out, does it lock back up
nicely, or spin for a while?

     I'd still put money on the drive shafts, but, good luck,

     -Joel Brodsky

     '76 Scout II 345/tf727
     '75 T'all 150 4wd 392/tf727