Re: Hubs- what I seem to remember

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:27:55 -0700 Terry Rust <trust@domain.elided> writes:

>I think that Husky/Selectro was assimilated into Dualmatic which is part
of
>someone else, it may have been selectro/dualmatic/husky, but I think it
>ended up with Dualmatic. I'm reasonably sure that the
selectro/dualmatics
>had a knob that was 3-4" in diameter and sort of covered the whole
shebang.
>I seem to reemember an earlier set that I want to call dualmatics that
had
>dual levers that you rotated on each hub to lock/unlock the hub, these
were
>very early though and fell out of favor as they were more difficult to
>operate than the 1/4 turn units. The set described above sound like
Cutlas
>hubs, Chrome plated, when the long tapered units, with a 2" knurled disc
>with a slot through it to operate them. I've had the same set of Cutlas
>hubs on my CJ 5 since 74, no, zero, zip , zilch, nada problems with
them.
>Of course they are no longer made. They used to also make a short
version
>(I've only seen them on J trucks) that had only the knob and a plate
>looking deal that replaced the drive plate on the front end, I GUESS
they
>would be comperable to the "Internal" hubs used on Fords and Senior
Jeeps.
>I've not seen Cutlas hubs outside of the mountain states though so they
may
>be somewhat scarce (I'd better pull the set of the junked J10 at the
yard
>near here). I've never (Knowingly) seen the Cutlas Automatics, but would
>like to find some someday.

I would agree with you on the two lines merging, as I see references to
both  Dualmatic and Selectro for the big black knob version, but I know
there was only one used for Scout production.  And you are correct, the
one with the small knob was a Cutlas.  I believe it was Cutlas that tried
to produce an automatic hub that didn't work too well and I don't think
they made it to a production version.

I recall seeing an ad in a early or mid-60's Four Wheeler Magazine for
another version of a manual hub.  This one had what appeared to be a
knock-off spinner on the end of the axle.  This just removed a cap on the
end of the spindle and you pulled the locking sleeve out and turned it
around to engage the hub.  That was what I would call a real manual hub!
This would not be a hub you would want to wait until the front end was
under water to try to lock the hubs

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts.